What are common cognitive problems for KMS clients?
Cognitive problems are specific deficits that typically occur following a brain injury. Some of the most common cognitive problems we work with are:
- Arousal or over-stimulation
- Insight and judgement
- Attention and filtering issues
- Information coding and retrieval (memory) issues
- Learning, both using old information and acquiring new information
- Problem solving
- Higher-level thinking skills also known as “executive skills”(initiation, planning, follow-through)
Some cognitive problems resolve themselves over time and through our rehabilitation process and others may persist and require specific rehabilitation interventions.